When someone is suffering chronic pain it affects every aspect of their life. Medical cannabis could significantly improve the quality of life and provide pain relief. It is a far safer treatment option than many that are used today. According to a recent study by researchers at the University of Georgia, states that have approved medical cannabis laws saw a dramatic reduction in opioid use. (Ashley C. Bradford, W. David Bradford, Amanda Abraham, Grace Bagwell Adams. Association Between US State Medical Cannabis Laws and Opioid Prescribing in the Medicare Part D Population. JAMA Internal Medicine, 2018; DOI: 10.1001/jamainternmed.2018.0266).
However, frankly put, Minnesota has one of the most restrictive medical marijuana programs in the United States. There are several hoops to jump through before you can purchase it. Certify. Register. Receive. In the hoop jumping process, we are the first hoop – the certification program.
AdvaCare Clinics offers certification for those in pain, who qualify to use medical cannabis under the Minnesota Medical Cannabis Program. We provide these services at both our Bloomington location and our Medical Cannabis Satellite Clinics, which will service Detroit Lakes, East Grand Forks, Bemidji, Brainerd, Park Rapids and Alexandria. To find out more, view our Medical Cannabis page.
There’s an old saying – “You don’t know what you don’t know!” AdvaCare finds itself in that position. We had no idea that, at times, our telephone was ringing on your end and not actually coming through to our office. Calls were getting through but some were not, but hard to prove and find out unless some of you were following up to tell us. SO, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, and THANK YOU. Otherwise how could we have known that patients were calling and not getting through?
We had a mystery on our hands – why were some calls not getting through?. We did not know how many we were missing but even one call missed was one too many! The telephone company kept saying “All is good” and they could not see anything wrong with the lines. The mystery was solved when our telephone vendor found a problem with the telephone switches. We are currently pulling a switch of our own, switching telephone companies.
Please accept our apology – we always want to respond to ALL our patients. We understand some people felt they had to give us low ratings in social media due to our lack of telephone response, we hope you understand we didn’t know there was a phone call issue to respond to. Please accept our apology for any inconvenience.
We look forward to serving you all in the future.
High heels, can they be the bearer of unnecessary pain? Wearing high heels can strain the lower back and neck as well as increase pressure on the knees, ankles and feet. Your feet carry the weight of your body, so when selecting new footwear we have some tips that you may find helpful.
- Find the best ‘fit’ and not a shoe that is too loose or too tight.
- Avoid pointy shoes which pinch the toes.
- Choose heels that are no more than two inches especially for everyday use.
- Select heels that are more platform (square).
- Choose shoes with a comfy insole.
- Test before purchasing – walk around in the shoes to see how they feel and if they rub anywhere.
When wearing high heels, the following tips are always a good idea.
- Try not to stand too long at any one time in high heels.
- If you are walking long distances, bring along flat shoes and swap shoes till you get to your destination.
- When sitting, remove your shoes and stretch out your feet
If you are experiencing strain when walking, strain in your lower back, knees or ankles, contact AdvaCare Clinic today at 952-835-6653 or fill out our online form.
Human nature – 39 years has taught me that if you are not feeling lousy, you tend to do nothing. That said, if you want to be proactive and preventative, let me share with you my top recommendations for multivitamins:
- You get what you pay for! Cheaper usually equals poor absorption so keep that in mind.
- Inflammatory foods are the #1 cause of chronic health issues and healthcare costs in this country. Vitamin C, Vitamin D and fish oils are supplements that will all help. As always a good multiple B complex is needful. Anything after that you are getting condition specific and condition specific supplements are needed for a 30 days to 6 months for restoration.
- You the consumer have limited financial resources. Time and again, you will spend your $$$ on testing and have nothing left to pay for treatments. Feeling like crap? It might be allergies, hypersensitivities, digestive problems, joint pains, and your family practice doctor can’t find any cause. The short answer is 98% of the time the answer lies in your gut and your “gut brain” is ticked off and throwing off you head brain and immune system.
- Be knowledgeable about testing. The 3 best testing are saliva based, urine based and blood based. It’s important to get the right test. We use tests that are external labs and clinics. We do specific function tests in clinic that cost under $200. We also offer electrodermal screening test – which uses Voll or Acupuncture points and is effective in pointing the direction for the underlying condition. These look at electrical imbalances not chemical imbalances. ZYTO or Spectra vision – these tests run under 200. During the scan, subtle energetic impulses are introduced to your body through multiple input channels including the hand cradle. Your body will naturally respond to this communication and the ZYTO software records each response. Our symptom services run under $50 to point to your health problems.
- IV therapy requires a prescription and blood tests to ensure you are getting the right dosage but it is the MOST effective treatment for health restoration. The other advantage is IV nutrition is pharmaceutical grade supplements and there is no problem with truth in labeling. You are paying for guaranteed quality. Maybe you are better spending the $200 in IV therapy instead pooping out supplements – remember you may have the healthiest septic system in the country.
Just food for thought.
We have compiled a list of 10 New Year’s Resolutions to help 2018 be happier and healthier!
- Schedule “quiet time” and turn off your cell phone – enjoy peace and quiet.
- Incorporate exercise into daily activities, 3-4 times per week for 30 minutes helps clear your mind and you’ll also experience a reduction in back pain and other neuro-musculoskeletal symptoms.
- Take the stairs instead of elevators and escalators – a way to sneak in exercise.
- Read a new book every month – mental exercising literally keeps the muscles of the brain in good shape.
- Eat healthy and” eat the rainbow” – by adding fruits and vegetables to your diet. Calciferous vegetables like kale and broccoli are rich in calcium, which can help to decrease your risk of osteoarthritis.
- Eat dinner as a family – studies show a consistent association between family dinner frequency and academic performance.
- Stop wearing high heels – high heels actually alter the balanced position of your body and lead to many knee, foot, hip and back problems.
- Get adequate sleep each night – lack of sleep can result in fatigue, poor concentration and even illness – chiropractic care can help!
- Regular Chiropractic Care – research has shown that chiropractic adjustments reduce the stress hormone cortisol and boost the presence of infection-fighting antibodies in the body.
- Laugh! Research shows laughter can boost your immune system and who couldn’t use that kind of a boost!
The staff at AdvaCare Clinics wants to help you reach your goals for 2018. We can evaluate your needs and offer advice on how to reach an optimal level of health and wellness in a lasting way. Call today 952-835-6653 for an appointment.
Cold winter weather is now upon us. When temperatures decrease (as they do in Minnesota) muscle and joint inflammation increases, which increases pain. We have gathered some tips that will help:
Dress To Kill the Cold
Blood circulation is imperative during cold weathers. Also, vests and sweaters can keep the chest region warm at all times. When heading out-of-doors, wear warm hats, gloves and a jacket to minimize discomfort and exposure to cold weather. Layers are a good idea this time of year. Also walk slowly during winter for allowing muscles and joints to adapt to the weather change.
Move to Combat the Cold
Longer periods of reduced physical activity are common during cold weather. However, combat the cold by consistent light exercise to prevent stagnation of muscles. Plan a doable light exercise schedule that can be maintained during Minnesota’s cold months.
Warm Water will dispel the Cold
Especially in cold weather indoor swimming is great for averting muscle and joint pain. A warm bath can also be a comfort when the temperature is dropping.
Warm Chiropractic Welcome
AdvaCare Clinics know the pain from muscle and joints. If you are in pain, we can help you get relief. Call our office today to schedule an appointment.
According to the University of Colorado, the chemical that promotes fat storage almost doubles in winter. Sadly, the cold winter time triggers cravings for that warm, carb filled comfort food. The warm, cozy couch is too comfortable to leave and the freezing outdoor temperature provides an all too easy excuse for not exercising.
However, the study also shows that individuals who maintain an active lifestyle are more protected from weight gain. Exercising in the winter can provide more benefits then exercising any other time of year.
We all need Vitamin D, the sunshine vitamin. During the summer exposure of 10-15 minutes is more than what our bodies need. But in the winter time, sunshine is not something we strive to get. This is why it is important for us to get outside, get moving and say hello to the sun.
But this presents some problems when temperatures start dropping. The best solution — DRESS for SUCCESS! Follow the winter dress tips and you will be fine:
- Base layer – snug but breathable shirts that has the ability to wick away sweat.
- Middle layer – a fleece or wool top that provides insulation. The thickness depends on the temperature and the intensity of the activity.
- Outer layer – wind and water resistant jacket that will help to keep the elements at bay.
- Hat and mittens.
Do not let this winter put the blues on your health or mood. So get off the couch and get active!
When making exercise and physical activity a priority, whether it is to lose weight, build muscle, or become stronger, it is important to pay attention to pain and discomfort within the body. Chiropractic care can help by addressing musculoskeletal imbalances before they present symptoms. It can also help by treating soft tissue injuries, and restore function and teaching tactics that will inhibit further injury.
Most people know that stretching can increase flexibility and better balance. But did you know it does all this:
- Increases flexibility
- Increases mobility
- Improves balance
- Improves posture
- Improves athletic performance
- Reduces tension
- Reduces stress
- Reduces anxiety
- Decreases the risk of injury
Stretching also is the cheapest and the simplest exercise you’ll ever do and requires no equipment, floor space or special clothes.
3 Stretching Tips
Stretching conditions the muscles for exertion and exercise, making every muscle movement more efficient.
- Always warm up your muscles for at least five minutes prior to stretching–good warm-ups include jogging in place, slow biking and jumping jacks.
- When you start, never bounce or bob. Not only is this less effective than simply “holding” the stretch, but it can also be very dangerous and lead to injuries.
- Always complete each stretch for both sides of your body or limb in the same way.
Ask us for a list of stretches that can help your spine at your next visit!
You might not be surprised that according to Driver Knowledge, 3 million people in the US are injured every year in car accidents, however, did you know that it’s all too common for people injured in a seemingly minor car accident to develop chronic problems. Often people don’t realize that chiropractic care is the best option because it doesn’t involve drugs or surgery.
We’ve listed our top three reasons you should visit a chiropractor after being involved in an auto accident:
Chiropractic Care Reduces Inflammation – There are numerous studies that when you go to a chiropractor, they will be able to manipulate your spine and help your body release IL-6, an important anti-inflammatory substance the body produces to help with acute injuries.
Chiropractic Care Restores Motion – Chiropractic adjustments safely and effectively restore motion when you’re in pain, experiencing joint stiffness/tightness or loss of range of motion. Chiropractic adjustments will mobilize your spine and allow it to begin the healing process faster than normal.
Chiropractic Care Reduces Scar Tissue – At AdvaCare Clinics we also use Class 4K Laser treatments that will promote pain relief, reduce inflammation, improve range of motion and reduce scar tissue.
After a crash adrenaline kicks in, signaling endorphins that overwhelm your body and cloud your pain receptors. The first few days after an accident has a dramatic effect on your recovery and your health. Make a smart decision and contact AdvaCare Clinics for a faster, more complete and less time consuming recovery soon after the crash. Our advanced healthcare solutions that can correct, repair and aid your body in its natural healing process, after you’ve sustained injuries from a crash. Call 952-835-653 today for an appointment.
IV Nutritional Therapy can often be the missing treatment to many diseases. The method of feeding vitamins, minerals, and other natural therapeutic substances directly into the bloodstream can have profound effects.
Partially because it bypasses the digestive tract, where many nutrients may be either partially or fully lost due to poor absorption. IV nutrition therapy also creates higher than normal blood levels of the specified nutrients.
Can’t a person just get the needed nutrients from food? No. Many factors influence the percentage of vitamins and minerals are absorbed by the food eaten; which would include: how the food was prepared, where it was grown, what else you are ingesting at the same time. According to Scientific American, you might absorb anywhere from 10 to 90% of a given nutrient from any given food. It’s plain to see, IV Nutritional Therapy can be a benefit everyone.
IV Nutritional Therapies will:
- Increase energy.
- Boost the immune system.
- Offer high therapeutic doses of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients that don’t need to be absorbed through the gut.
- Decrease recovery time from workouts and illness.
- Bypass intestinal malabsorption.
- Alleviate nutritional deficiencies.
We offer many IV Nutritional therapies and will assist to find your perfect drip for your needs. Call 952-835-6653 today to find out how we can help you!