Text Neck is an overuse, or repetitive stress injury to the neck caused by holding your head in a downward and forward position for extended periods of time. Excessive amounts of tension is created in the deep muscles of the neck and across the shoulders when holding your head in the aforementioned position.
There is an increase in but acute and chronic pain with the increase of popularity and hours individuals spend on the handheld devices; i.e. smartphones, e-readers, tablets …etc.
Signs and Symptoms
• Instant neck or upper back pain when using a handheld device
• Intermittent or constant headache made worse when looking down or using a computer
• Shoulder pain and tightness
• Pain in the neck or shoulders that slowly increases throughout the day
At AdvaCare, we have a variety of treatments that reduce the tension within the neck muscles, reduce neck pain and address the posture that aggravate the symptoms.
1. Set time limits – limit the amount of time and frequency of use of handheld devices.
2. Take breaks – if you have to use the device, develop a habit of taking a three-minute break every 15-20 minutes.
3. Use a tablet holder – a holder will help to elevate your device to significantly reduce the amount of neck flexion and forward positioning. Try to keep the device as close to eye-level as possible.
4. Be aware – that holding your head flexed and forward while looking down places your cervical spine in a tenuous position. It is critical to understand that poor posture can create unwanted health issues.
5. Pay attention to your body – if you experience neck or shoulder pain, numbness or tingling in the arms, as well as frequent headaches you may be experiencing Text Neck.
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, give us a call 952-835-6653.
Mindfulness is the act of being intensely aware of what you’re sensing and feeling at every moment — without interpretation or judgment. Your mind, body are together in the present moment. This technique is a very natural and effective way to ease pain. While the idea might sound counter-intuitive, the calm and content emotional state achieved when practicing mindfulness will help.
The pace of our daily lives is a constant rotation of demands. Rushing to complete one task and moving onto the next; dealing with feelings of anger, frustration, depression infiltrate our daily routines. Chaos can impact not your quality of life but also your health. Headaches and neck pain can become part of everyday life. Even the most well balanced individual rarely makes time to relax the mind and body to just “be” and connect with the here and now.
- Quiet – Find a quiet and comfortable place to sit or lie down. You need to be clear of distractions, so make sure others know you do not want to be disturbed. Don’t forget to turn off your phone.
- Grounding – Once you are comfortable, turn your attention to your body. Focus on the feeling of how your body is in contact with the surface that you are on. Focus on the position of your body. Be attentive to any areas that have tension and center in on these areas. Try to consciously release this tension.
- Being in the Present – Make a conscious decision to let go of the past and the future, and concentrate on the present moment. Let everything melt away. Decide to meet whatever you feel with equanimity without judgement, anxiety or fear.
- Body Scan – Using your mind, now “scan” your body. Turn all your attention on one area of your body Be aware of the temperature, of how the fabrics touch your skin, is this body part tired or heavy? Do not engage this area just think about it, be aware of the sensations there. Continue to scan the rest of your body.
- Total Body Awareness – The last step is to bring your awareness to your entire body. Maintain this awareness for a few minutes. Feel your body from within, do not think about it, just feel it.
Mindfulness and wellness are integrated. You are more then just your illness or symptoms. You are a whole, made up of interrelated parts. Everything about you and your life is important and deserves to be taken care of at this time. Your physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual aspects depend on one another for well-being. Do not settle when it comes to your health.
We will personally tailor a wellness program specifically targeted to your wellness needs. For more information to make an appointment fill out our contact us form or call 952-835-6653