We have compiled a list of 10 New Year’s Resolutions to help 2018 be happier and healthier!
- Schedule “quiet time” and turn off your cell phone – enjoy peace and quiet.
- Incorporate exercise into daily activities, 3-4 times per week for 30 minutes helps clear your mind and you’ll also experience a reduction in back pain and other neuro-musculoskeletal symptoms.
- Take the stairs instead of elevators and escalators – a way to sneak in exercise.
- Read a new book every month – mental exercising literally keeps the muscles of the brain in good shape.
- Eat healthy and” eat the rainbow” – by adding fruits and vegetables to your diet. Calciferous vegetables like kale and broccoli are rich in calcium, which can help to decrease your risk of osteoarthritis.
- Eat dinner as a family – studies show a consistent association between family dinner frequency and academic performance.
- Stop wearing high heels – high heels actually alter the balanced position of your body and lead to many knee, foot, hip and back problems.
- Get adequate sleep each night – lack of sleep can result in fatigue, poor concentration and even illness – chiropractic care can help!
- Regular Chiropractic Care – research has shown that chiropractic adjustments reduce the stress hormone cortisol and boost the presence of infection-fighting antibodies in the body.
- Laugh! Research shows laughter can boost your immune system and who couldn’t use that kind of a boost!
The staff at AdvaCare Clinics wants to help you reach your goals for 2018. We can evaluate your needs and offer advice on how to reach an optimal level of health and wellness in a lasting way. Call today 952-835-6653 for an appointment.
“Sleep ergonomics” is the term referring to sleeping postures and positions. Your sleep ergonomics either help you rest in a safe mechanical position for your joints or they can stress your joints to the point of feeling aches and pains when you wake.
A few simple changes can take strain off your back:
- A mattress should support your body. Find the mattress that is right for your body so you can rest and rejuvenate from a day’s activities. While a firm mattress is generally recommended, some people find that softer mattresses reduce their back pain. Turn your mattress over every few months to maintain it.
- Sleep with a pillow. A healthy pillow will keep the spine in natural alignment. Ergonomic pillows are available to help with postural problems resulting from a poor sleeping position.
- Avoid sleeping on your stomach.
- Sleeping on your side or back is more often helpful for back pain. If you sleep on your side, place a pillow between your legs. If you sleep on your back, keep a pillow under your knees.
Lack of sleep can make you a less productive person during the day and contribute to a variety of health concerns including weight gain, depression, and even heart disease. If you are still experience a lack of sleep, AdvaCare Clinics can help. Sleeping disorders can be brought on by stress, chronic pain or other factors. Call 952-835-6653 for a consultation today or fill out our online form. You deserve a good night’s sleep!
Text Neck is an overuse, or repetitive stress injury to the neck caused by holding your head in a downward and forward position for extended periods of time. Excessive amounts of tension is created in the deep muscles of the neck and across the shoulders when holding your head in the aforementioned position.
There is an increase in but acute and chronic pain with the increase of popularity and hours individuals spend on the handheld devices; i.e. smartphones, e-readers, tablets …etc.
Signs and Symptoms
• Instant neck or upper back pain when using a handheld device
• Intermittent or constant headache made worse when looking down or using a computer
• Shoulder pain and tightness
• Pain in the neck or shoulders that slowly increases throughout the day
At AdvaCare, we have a variety of treatments that reduce the tension within the neck muscles, reduce neck pain and address the posture that aggravate the symptoms.
1. Set time limits – limit the amount of time and frequency of use of handheld devices.
2. Take breaks – if you have to use the device, develop a habit of taking a three-minute break every 15-20 minutes.
3. Use a tablet holder – a holder will help to elevate your device to significantly reduce the amount of neck flexion and forward positioning. Try to keep the device as close to eye-level as possible.
4. Be aware – that holding your head flexed and forward while looking down places your cervical spine in a tenuous position. It is critical to understand that poor posture can create unwanted health issues.
5. Pay attention to your body – if you experience neck or shoulder pain, numbness or tingling in the arms, as well as frequent headaches you may be experiencing Text Neck.
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, give us a call 952-835-6653.
Spinal musculoskeletal disorders may occur in your daily life, at home, work or recreation. You may know how miserable it can be when your back is hurting, but do you know things you could do to help keep your spine healthy?
- Good Posture! Good posture is fundamental to good health. It helps to avoid complications such as decreased blood circulation, and chest pressure. It facilities your breathing by opening your airways. It keeps your spine healthy.
- Healthy Nutrition! Nutrition is a crucial component to prevent back pain. Nourish your bones, muscles, discs and other structure in the spine. A diet high in leafy greens and delicious vegetables is beneficial.
- Move it! Regular exercise is always needed to function well. Working your abdominal muscles will help maintain proper function. Strengthening your core muscles will strengthen your spine and lower the risk of back pain. Our Physical Therapists can teach your specially targeted exercises to add stability and strength.
- Sleep Well! A good night’s sleep allows your spine to relax and rejuvenate just like the rest of your body. Make sure your spine is supported while you sleep and avoid sleeping on your stomach when possible. Sleeping on your side will give you a better night’s rest.
AdvaCare Clinics can help you maintain healthy musculoskeletal and nervous systems to ensure your overall wellness.
This month is Chiropractic Health Month with efforts to raise public awareness of the value of a conservative approach to pain management. Chiropractic services are an important “first line of defense” against musculoskeletal pain and in some cases may lessen or eliminate the need for over-the-counter and prescription painkillers.
We know that inadequate pain management coupled with the epidemic of prescription opioid overuse and abuse has taken a severe toll on the lives of tens of thousands of people in the United States. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), as many as one in four patients who receive prescription opioids long term for non-cancer pain in primary care settings struggles with addiction. Every day, more than 1,000 people are treated in the ER for misusing prescription opioids.
There is a growing body of research that validates the effectiveness of chiropractic services. The American Chiropractic Association encourages patients to first exhaust conservative forms of pain management, when appropriate. Contact us, we’re here to help.
After experiencing a car accident whiplash may occur within 24 to 48 hours. These are a few of the symptoms to be aware of:
- Blurred Vision
- Brain Fog
- Neck pain
- Memory problems
At AdvaCare Clinics we specialize in whiplash treatment as part of our chiropractic care. Whiplash is the most common injury due to rear end collisions. We can assist you in navigating the world of insurance companies as well as provide the care you need to recover.
Whatever pain you may be feeling, it is very important to be treated for your injuries. Take the time to be evaluated by one of our professionals. Don’t make the mistake of not being seen and end up suffering from dull chronic pain, just because you thought your neck or back pain would go away.
Read more about Whiplash and Chiropractic care.
It’s school time again and that means books, notebooks, snacks, bag lunches, and sweatshirts. All of these are often carried in school backpacks. You need to know these alarming statistics – the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission reported in 2014 that 3,203 school-age children were seen in emergency rooms due to backpack-related injuries.
To avoid these types of injuries we recommend the American Chiropractic Association (ACA) recommends the following:
- Limit your child’s backpack weight to no more than 5-10% of his/her body weight. Your child will bend forward when carrying a heavier backpack.
- Choose a backpack with wide shoulder straps for comfort.
- Adjust the shoulder straps to keep the weight closer and avoid strain.
- Make sure the backpack does not hang more than 4 inches below your child’s waistline. If the backpack is too low it increases the weight on the shoulder and pulls your child forward when walking.
- A backpack with individualized compartments will allow positioning of the contents.
Learn the warning signs to look for because children don’t always speak-up when they are in pain. These signs would include:
- Red strap marks over the shoulders
- Difficult when putting on or taking off the backpack
- Posture changes from side to side while wearing the backpack
- Tingling in their arms or legs
- Headache and neck pain
If your child experiences any back problems, call our clinic. Chiropractic and strengthening exercises can be effective in strengthening the lower back and abdominal muscles. We are trained to analyze, identify and correct any misalignment.
For anyone who has suffered through episodes of Back Pain you understand how it can really slow you down and affect almost every aspect of your life. There are multiple possible causes for back pain. Some of the more common reasons for back pain include muscle spasms, herniated discs and spinal nerve compression. The healthcare team at AdvaCare Clinics provides Richfield, MN patients with non-surgical treatments for Back Pain Relief. We utilize natural therapies including Massage Therapy and Chiropractic Treatments for back pain sufferers.
Common Reasons for Back Pain
Diagnosing the precise cause of back pain can be difficult without a complete evaluation by a Licensed Healthcare Professional such as a Chiropractor. Pain can radiate from the upper, middle or lower back. Low back pain is the most commonly seen complaint. The following is a list of some of the Common Reasons for Back Pain.
- Strained Muscles or Tendons of the spine
- Ligament Sprains
- Bulging or Herniated Disc
- Sciatica Nerve Pain
- Pinched or Compressed Spinal Nerve
- Bone Spurs
- Degenerative Disc Disease or Osteoarthritis
- Isthmic Spondylolisthesis
- Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction
Chiropractic Treatments for Back Pain
Chiropractic Care can be very effective for relieving back pain symptoms. AdvaCare Clinics Advanced Healthcare Solutions has Licensed Chiropractors on staff who can provide Richfield, MN area patients with Chiropractic Treatments for Back Pain. This practice dates back thousands of years and is more popular today than ever before simply because it can be very effective.
A chiropractor uses controlled, sudden force on precise areas of the spine to correct spinal misalignment. Patients may feel significant relief after a single treatment or through a series of treatments. By readjusting and correcting a structural imbalance, chiropractors are often able to restore normal range of motion and provide Back Pain Relief.
Multidisciplinary Therapy Approach
These chiropractic adjustments are often used as part of a multidisciplinary approach to managing back pain symptoms. Often patients respond well to a combination of Spinal Adjustments, Massage Therapy, Physical Therapy or Acupuncture. A variety of effective therapeutic treatments are provided by the experienced professionals at AdvaCare Clinics.
Non Surgical Back Pain Relief
AdvaCare Clinics is an outpatient rehabilitation facility near Richfield, MN. We specialize in non-surgical therapeutic treatments that provide Back Pain Relief and restore function. We offer Chiropractic Treatments for Back Pain that may be combined with Massage or Physical Therapy. There are many different common reasons for back pain but just one place where you can go for combined medical care, chiropractic care and physical therapy.
Call AdvaCare Clinics Advanced Healthcare Solutions today at (952) 835-6653 to learn more about our holistic rehabilitation services.
Are you dealing with chronic lower back pain? For those individuals that have never experienced back pain, dealing with this pain on a regular basis can become unbearable at times. You do not realize how much of your back is used every day until your lower back is in pain. Each time you bend down, stand up, walk, run, or even sit, you are using back muscles. If you live in Richfield, MN and you are looking to partner with a medical facility focused on a holistic approach, look no further than AdvaCare Clinics Advanced Healthcare Solutions. Our experienced medical staff are ready to help you achieve back pain relief so that you can get back to living a pain free lifestyle! Continue reading “Lower Back Pain Relief Richfield MN”