High heels, can they be the bearer of unnecessary pain? Wearing high heels can strain the lower back and neck as well as increase pressure on the knees, ankles and feet. Your feet carry the weight of your body, so when selecting new footwear we have some tips that you may find helpful.
- Find the best ‘fit’ and not a shoe that is too loose or too tight.
- Avoid pointy shoes which pinch the toes.
- Choose heels that are no more than two inches especially for everyday use.
- Select heels that are more platform (square).
- Choose shoes with a comfy insole.
- Test before purchasing – walk around in the shoes to see how they feel and if they rub anywhere.
When wearing high heels, the following tips are always a good idea.
- Try not to stand too long at any one time in high heels.
- If you are walking long distances, bring along flat shoes and swap shoes till you get to your destination.
- When sitting, remove your shoes and stretch out your feet
If you are experiencing strain when walking, strain in your lower back, knees or ankles, contact AdvaCare Clinic today at 952-835-6653 or fill out our online form.
Human nature – 39 years has taught me that if you are not feeling lousy, you tend to do nothing. That said, if you want to be proactive and preventative, let me share with you my top recommendations for multivitamins:
- You get what you pay for! Cheaper usually equals poor absorption so keep that in mind.
- Inflammatory foods are the #1 cause of chronic health issues and healthcare costs in this country. Vitamin C, Vitamin D and fish oils are supplements that will all help. As always a good multiple B complex is needful. Anything after that you are getting condition specific and condition specific supplements are needed for a 30 days to 6 months for restoration.
- You the consumer have limited financial resources. Time and again, you will spend your $$$ on testing and have nothing left to pay for treatments. Feeling like crap? It might be allergies, hypersensitivities, digestive problems, joint pains, and your family practice doctor can’t find any cause. The short answer is 98% of the time the answer lies in your gut and your “gut brain” is ticked off and throwing off you head brain and immune system.
- Be knowledgeable about testing. The 3 best testing are saliva based, urine based and blood based. It’s important to get the right test. We use tests that are external labs and clinics. We do specific function tests in clinic that cost under $200. We also offer electrodermal screening test – which uses Voll or Acupuncture points and is effective in pointing the direction for the underlying condition. These look at electrical imbalances not chemical imbalances. ZYTO or Spectra vision – these tests run under 200. During the scan, subtle energetic impulses are introduced to your body through multiple input channels including the hand cradle. Your body will naturally respond to this communication and the ZYTO software records each response. Our symptom services run under $50 to point to your health problems.
- IV therapy requires a prescription and blood tests to ensure you are getting the right dosage but it is the MOST effective treatment for health restoration. The other advantage is IV nutrition is pharmaceutical grade supplements and there is no problem with truth in labeling. You are paying for guaranteed quality. Maybe you are better spending the $200 in IV therapy instead pooping out supplements – remember you may have the healthiest septic system in the country.
Just food for thought.
We have compiled a list of 10 New Year’s Resolutions to help 2018 be happier and healthier!
- Schedule “quiet time” and turn off your cell phone – enjoy peace and quiet.
- Incorporate exercise into daily activities, 3-4 times per week for 30 minutes helps clear your mind and you’ll also experience a reduction in back pain and other neuro-musculoskeletal symptoms.
- Take the stairs instead of elevators and escalators – a way to sneak in exercise.
- Read a new book every month – mental exercising literally keeps the muscles of the brain in good shape.
- Eat healthy and” eat the rainbow” – by adding fruits and vegetables to your diet. Calciferous vegetables like kale and broccoli are rich in calcium, which can help to decrease your risk of osteoarthritis.
- Eat dinner as a family – studies show a consistent association between family dinner frequency and academic performance.
- Stop wearing high heels – high heels actually alter the balanced position of your body and lead to many knee, foot, hip and back problems.
- Get adequate sleep each night – lack of sleep can result in fatigue, poor concentration and even illness – chiropractic care can help!
- Regular Chiropractic Care – research has shown that chiropractic adjustments reduce the stress hormone cortisol and boost the presence of infection-fighting antibodies in the body.
- Laugh! Research shows laughter can boost your immune system and who couldn’t use that kind of a boost!
The staff at AdvaCare Clinics wants to help you reach your goals for 2018. We can evaluate your needs and offer advice on how to reach an optimal level of health and wellness in a lasting way. Call today 952-835-6653 for an appointment.
Cold winter weather is now upon us. When temperatures decrease (as they do in Minnesota) muscle and joint inflammation increases, which increases pain. We have gathered some tips that will help:
Dress To Kill the Cold
Blood circulation is imperative during cold weathers. Also, vests and sweaters can keep the chest region warm at all times. When heading out-of-doors, wear warm hats, gloves and a jacket to minimize discomfort and exposure to cold weather. Layers are a good idea this time of year. Also walk slowly during winter for allowing muscles and joints to adapt to the weather change.
Move to Combat the Cold
Longer periods of reduced physical activity are common during cold weather. However, combat the cold by consistent light exercise to prevent stagnation of muscles. Plan a doable light exercise schedule that can be maintained during Minnesota’s cold months.
Warm Water will dispel the Cold
Especially in cold weather indoor swimming is great for averting muscle and joint pain. A warm bath can also be a comfort when the temperature is dropping.
Warm Chiropractic Welcome
AdvaCare Clinics know the pain from muscle and joints. If you are in pain, we can help you get relief. Call our office today to schedule an appointment.
According to the University of Colorado, the chemical that promotes fat storage almost doubles in winter. Sadly, the cold winter time triggers cravings for that warm, carb filled comfort food. The warm, cozy couch is too comfortable to leave and the freezing outdoor temperature provides an all too easy excuse for not exercising.
However, the study also shows that individuals who maintain an active lifestyle are more protected from weight gain. Exercising in the winter can provide more benefits then exercising any other time of year.
We all need Vitamin D, the sunshine vitamin. During the summer exposure of 10-15 minutes is more than what our bodies need. But in the winter time, sunshine is not something we strive to get. This is why it is important for us to get outside, get moving and say hello to the sun.
But this presents some problems when temperatures start dropping. The best solution — DRESS for SUCCESS! Follow the winter dress tips and you will be fine:
- Base layer – snug but breathable shirts that has the ability to wick away sweat.
- Middle layer – a fleece or wool top that provides insulation. The thickness depends on the temperature and the intensity of the activity.
- Outer layer – wind and water resistant jacket that will help to keep the elements at bay.
- Hat and mittens.
Do not let this winter put the blues on your health or mood. So get off the couch and get active!
When making exercise and physical activity a priority, whether it is to lose weight, build muscle, or become stronger, it is important to pay attention to pain and discomfort within the body. Chiropractic care can help by addressing musculoskeletal imbalances before they present symptoms. It can also help by treating soft tissue injuries, and restore function and teaching tactics that will inhibit further injury.
You might not be surprised that according to Driver Knowledge, 3 million people in the US are injured every year in car accidents, however, did you know that it’s all too common for people injured in a seemingly minor car accident to develop chronic problems. Often people don’t realize that chiropractic care is the best option because it doesn’t involve drugs or surgery.
We’ve listed our top three reasons you should visit a chiropractor after being involved in an auto accident:
Chiropractic Care Reduces Inflammation – There are numerous studies that when you go to a chiropractor, they will be able to manipulate your spine and help your body release IL-6, an important anti-inflammatory substance the body produces to help with acute injuries.
Chiropractic Care Restores Motion – Chiropractic adjustments safely and effectively restore motion when you’re in pain, experiencing joint stiffness/tightness or loss of range of motion. Chiropractic adjustments will mobilize your spine and allow it to begin the healing process faster than normal.
Chiropractic Care Reduces Scar Tissue – At AdvaCare Clinics we also use Class 4K Laser treatments that will promote pain relief, reduce inflammation, improve range of motion and reduce scar tissue.
After a crash adrenaline kicks in, signaling endorphins that overwhelm your body and cloud your pain receptors. The first few days after an accident has a dramatic effect on your recovery and your health. Make a smart decision and contact AdvaCare Clinics for a faster, more complete and less time consuming recovery soon after the crash. Our advanced healthcare solutions that can correct, repair and aid your body in its natural healing process, after you’ve sustained injuries from a crash. Call 952-835-653 today for an appointment.
“Sleep ergonomics” is the term referring to sleeping postures and positions. Your sleep ergonomics either help you rest in a safe mechanical position for your joints or they can stress your joints to the point of feeling aches and pains when you wake.
A few simple changes can take strain off your back:
- A mattress should support your body. Find the mattress that is right for your body so you can rest and rejuvenate from a day’s activities. While a firm mattress is generally recommended, some people find that softer mattresses reduce their back pain. Turn your mattress over every few months to maintain it.
- Sleep with a pillow. A healthy pillow will keep the spine in natural alignment. Ergonomic pillows are available to help with postural problems resulting from a poor sleeping position.
- Avoid sleeping on your stomach.
- Sleeping on your side or back is more often helpful for back pain. If you sleep on your side, place a pillow between your legs. If you sleep on your back, keep a pillow under your knees.
Lack of sleep can make you a less productive person during the day and contribute to a variety of health concerns including weight gain, depression, and even heart disease. If you are still experience a lack of sleep, AdvaCare Clinics can help. Sleeping disorders can be brought on by stress, chronic pain or other factors. Call 952-835-6653 for a consultation today or fill out our online form. You deserve a good night’s sleep!
Minnesota in the fall is breathtaking. Red, yellow and orange leaves, while spectacular, also mean fall allergies. Below you’ll find our 3 top tips for keeping your fall allergies in check and concentrating on enjoying the colorful view!
- Filter, Filter, Filter
Minimize your exposure to fall allergies by keeping windows closed and the air conditioning on. And remember to replace air conditioning and furnace filters regularly. The best type of filter are highly high efficiency particulate absolute (HEPA) filters.
Exercising boosts the immune system. If you work-out indoors, it can be anytime of the day, but if you exercise outdoors, make sure you check the pollen levels and go out when they are low.
- Water Works Wonders
Shower nightly to get the pollen off so it is don’t bring it into the bed when you’re sleeping. A warm, steamy shower also opens us the sinuses and makes breathing easier.
Allergies are a hypersensitive response to the immune system from an element that comes in contact with the body. A weak immune system is more likely to become alarmed by something non-threatening and attack it. A stronger immune system enables your body to be more equipped to fight off allergies. We’re experts at strengthening the immune system, call today to find out how we can help you!
Text Neck is an overuse, or repetitive stress injury to the neck caused by holding your head in a downward and forward position for extended periods of time. Excessive amounts of tension is created in the deep muscles of the neck and across the shoulders when holding your head in the aforementioned position.
There is an increase in but acute and chronic pain with the increase of popularity and hours individuals spend on the handheld devices; i.e. smartphones, e-readers, tablets …etc.
Signs and Symptoms
• Instant neck or upper back pain when using a handheld device
• Intermittent or constant headache made worse when looking down or using a computer
• Shoulder pain and tightness
• Pain in the neck or shoulders that slowly increases throughout the day
At AdvaCare, we have a variety of treatments that reduce the tension within the neck muscles, reduce neck pain and address the posture that aggravate the symptoms.
1. Set time limits – limit the amount of time and frequency of use of handheld devices.
2. Take breaks – if you have to use the device, develop a habit of taking a three-minute break every 15-20 minutes.
3. Use a tablet holder – a holder will help to elevate your device to significantly reduce the amount of neck flexion and forward positioning. Try to keep the device as close to eye-level as possible.
4. Be aware – that holding your head flexed and forward while looking down places your cervical spine in a tenuous position. It is critical to understand that poor posture can create unwanted health issues.
5. Pay attention to your body – if you experience neck or shoulder pain, numbness or tingling in the arms, as well as frequent headaches you may be experiencing Text Neck.
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, give us a call 952-835-6653.
If you are considering chiropractic care in Bloomington, Edina or Eden Prairie Minnesota, you undoubtedly have discovered there are multiple possibilities. So, how do you find the best chiropractor for YOU? We have 5 tips for you to consider.
- Referrals! The Internet and yellow pages might seem like a good place to start, but cannot replace the opinion of trusted friends and relatives who are happy patients of a chiropractor. Recommendations speak volumes about the practice!
- Consultation! Schedule an initial consultation with a chiropractor to see if you are comfortable and if he encourages questions. It is important to find a chiropractic physician that will listen to you, and answer your questions.
- Services and Treatments! Not everyone is aware that there are a number of different techniques chiropractors can use. Chiropractors have been taught a variety of techniques and treatments and should offer you options to meet your individual condition.
- Education! Look for a chiropractor that engages and empowers you through education and home exercises, which in turn will give you control over your health.
- Insurance and Payment Options! Before starting care always verify your insurance plan limits, coverage and network requirements as well as explore any payment options that might be offered.
We are confident that using these 5 tips you will find the chiropractor that is right for you.
Please call AdvaCare 952-835-6653 for a free consultation.