Text Neck is an overuse, or repetitive stress injury to the neck caused by holding your head in a downward and forward position for extended periods of time. Excessive amounts of tension is created in the deep muscles of the neck and across the shoulders when holding your head in the aforementioned position.
There is an increase in but acute and chronic pain with the increase of popularity and hours individuals spend on the handheld devices; i.e. smartphones, e-readers, tablets …etc.
Signs and Symptoms
• Instant neck or upper back pain when using a handheld device
• Intermittent or constant headache made worse when looking down or using a computer
• Shoulder pain and tightness
• Pain in the neck or shoulders that slowly increases throughout the day
At AdvaCare, we have a variety of treatments that reduce the tension within the neck muscles, reduce neck pain and address the posture that aggravate the symptoms.
1. Set time limits – limit the amount of time and frequency of use of handheld devices.
2. Take breaks – if you have to use the device, develop a habit of taking a three-minute break every 15-20 minutes.
3. Use a tablet holder – a holder will help to elevate your device to significantly reduce the amount of neck flexion and forward positioning. Try to keep the device as close to eye-level as possible.
4. Be aware – that holding your head flexed and forward while looking down places your cervical spine in a tenuous position. It is critical to understand that poor posture can create unwanted health issues.
5. Pay attention to your body – if you experience neck or shoulder pain, numbness or tingling in the arms, as well as frequent headaches you may be experiencing Text Neck.
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, give us a call 952-835-6653.