Mindfulness is the act of being intensely aware of what you’re sensing and feeling at every moment — without interpretation or judgment. Your mind, body are together in the present moment. This technique is a very natural and effective way to ease pain. While the idea might sound counter-intuitive, the calm and content emotional state achieved when practicing mindfulness will help.
The pace of our daily lives is a constant rotation of demands. Rushing to complete one task and moving onto the next; dealing with feelings of anger, frustration, depression infiltrate our daily routines. Chaos can impact not your quality of life but also your health. Headaches and neck pain can become part of everyday life. Even the most well balanced individual rarely makes time to relax the mind and body to just “be” and connect with the here and now.
- Quiet – Find a quiet and comfortable place to sit or lie down. You need to be clear of distractions, so make sure others know you do not want to be disturbed. Don’t forget to turn off your phone.
- Grounding – Once you are comfortable, turn your attention to your body. Focus on the feeling of how your body is in contact with the surface that you are on. Focus on the position of your body. Be attentive to any areas that have tension and center in on these areas. Try to consciously release this tension.
- Being in the Present – Make a conscious decision to let go of the past and the future, and concentrate on the present moment. Let everything melt away. Decide to meet whatever you feel with equanimity without judgement, anxiety or fear.
- Body Scan – Using your mind, now “scan” your body. Turn all your attention on one area of your body Be aware of the temperature, of how the fabrics touch your skin, is this body part tired or heavy? Do not engage this area just think about it, be aware of the sensations there. Continue to scan the rest of your body.
- Total Body Awareness – The last step is to bring your awareness to your entire body. Maintain this awareness for a few minutes. Feel your body from within, do not think about it, just feel it.
Mindfulness and wellness are integrated. You are more then just your illness or symptoms. You are a whole, made up of interrelated parts. Everything about you and your life is important and deserves to be taken care of at this time. Your physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual aspects depend on one another for well-being. Do not settle when it comes to your health.
We will personally tailor a wellness program specifically targeted to your wellness needs. For more information to make an appointment fill out our contact us form or call 952-835-6653