This week in Minnesota there has been an Excessive Heat Warning. What does that mean? An Excessive Heat Warning means a significant risk of health-related ailments. Dehydration is the cause of many illnesses, so become aware of the signs of dehydration. Thirst, of course, is your first clue that you need water. But there are symptoms that are not as obvious but important nonetheless.
- Dry mouth – when your mouth is dry, it’s time for a drink.
- Dry skin – when your skin is dry it’s one of the earliest signs of dehydration.
- Headaches – a headache (mild to moderate) combined with dry mouth or dry skin can be another indication that you are not drinking enough water.
- Dry Eyes – tear ducts dry up without water in your body and the result is dry, bloodshot eyes.
- Dizziness – dizziness combined with other signs of dehydration is an indication you need more water.
Drinking more water will not only help prevent dehydration but also increase your health and well-being. Below are a few of these benefits:
- Lower Blood Pressure – the more water you drink, the more fluids leave the blood vessels and cause them to relax. This reduces blood pressure.
- Reduce Water Retention – it might seem contradictory if there is a history or tendency of water retention but it could indicate dehydration. Our bodies store water when it is in short supply and will not store water if adequately hydrated. Therefore, the best treatment for fluid retention is adequate hydration. Be aware of your salt intake. Drinking lots of water can flush excess salt from your system but you may also need to reduce your salt intake.
- Weight Loss – because being dehydrated can slow down your metabolism (and make it hard to lose weight), drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. Research has shown that drinking one to two glasses when you get up in the morning, as well as before meals can help raise your metabolism, feel less hungry, consume fewer calories and ultimately lose weight.
Stay cool in Minnesota this summer and if the heat does cause you problems, we’re here to help. If you live near the Edina, MN area check out AdvaCare Clinics Integrated Healthcare Solutions. Call us today at 952-835-6653,