Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a mental health disorder that is triggered by a frightening event. Symptoms can be flashbacks, nightmares and severe anxiety, accompanied with thoughts about the event or other events that are not in your control.
Numerous people who experience a traumatic event have problems “getting back to normal” and coping for a period of time. But over time and taking care of yourself, these traumatic receptions normally heal. Sometimes, however, the symptoms may grow more violent or go on for months to years. At times, they can take over and disrupt your life. In a case such as this, you might be experiencing post-traumatic stress disorder.
Seeking treatment as soon as possible after post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms occur can help stop long-term post-traumatic stress disorder.
At AdvaCare Clinics in Bloomington, MN we are an Outpatient Rehabilitation Facility (ORF) with advanced healthcare solutions and combine physical therapy, chiropractic care, and medical procedures for best results and recovery all under one roof. We regulate the pace and intensity of your therapies depending on your symptoms and conditions. Our goal is to find a treatment plan that best fits you .
Causes of Post Traumatic Stress
PSTD can occur when you experience, see or learn about a certain event that provokes excessive fear, helplessness or horror/panic.
Doctors are not certain as to why some people develop post-traumatic stress disorder. As with a lot of mental health problems, PTSD is may be caused by a numerous reasons including:
- Your inherited mental health risks, for instance, an higher risk of anxiety and depression
- Your life experiences, which can include the number and severity of trauma you’ve experienced since early childhood
- Personality differences— typically known as your temperament
- The way your brain regulates the chemicals and hormones your body releases in response to stress
Symptoms Post Traumatic Stress
Post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms usually begin within three months of a traumatic event. In a small number of cases, PTSD symptoms may not develop until years after the event.Post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms are commonly categorized into three types:
- Intrusive Memories
- Avoidance and Numbing
- Increased Anxiety or Emotional Arousal (hyperarousal)
Symptoms of Intrusive Memories can be:
- Flashbacks, or reliving the traumatic event for minutes to days at a time
- Upsetting dreams about the traumatic event
Symptoms of Avoidance and Emotional Numbing can be:
- Attempting to not think or talk about the traumatic event
- Feeling emotionally numb
- Not doing activities you once enjoyed
- Hopelessness about the future
- Memory difficulties
- Issues concentrating
- Not being able to maintain close relationships
Symptoms of Anxiety and Increased Emotional Arousal may include:
- Irritability or anger
- Overwhelming guilt or shame
- Self-destructive behavior, such as drinking too much
- Being startled or frightened easily
- Hearing or seeing things that aren’t there
Post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms can either be present, or stay dormant and occur whenever. You might experience more post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms when things are stressful in general, or when come across reminders of the traumatic event. For example, you might hear a car backfire and relive combat experiences. Or you may might see a report on the news about a rape victim and get overcome by a flood of memories of your own assault.
Treatments for Post Traumatic Stress
At AdvaCare Clinics , we are a team of specialized health care professionals whose passion is help combat symptoms and conditions, and improve function. Our knowledge is how we combine each modality with multiple layers of medical disciplines to reeducate the nervous system.
A few treatments we offer are:
- Trigger point injections
- Condition Education
- Massage and myofascial release
- Physical Therapy
- EMS (electrical muscle stimulation)
- Laser Therapy
- And many more…
Call AdvaCare Clinics (952) 835-6653 today if you have any questions about any of our therapies or to schedule a complimentary screening today. Our in-clinic screenings have the ability to determine what treatments would be the most beneficial for you. We have many screenings that take about 5 to 10 minutes to assess that are quick, easy and pain free.
We offer therapies and treatments in many regions in the metro area including:
and many more…