A bruise is a common skin injury that results in a discoloration of the skin. Blood from damaged blood vessels beneath the skin collects near the surface of the skin resulting in what we think of as a black and blue mark.
How Bruises are Caused
People usually get bruises when they bump into something or when something bumps into them:
- Bruises may happen in some people who exercise vigorously such as athletes and weightlifters. These bruises happen from microscopic tears in blood vessels under the skin.
- Bruises that appear out of nowhere or occur easily or for no reason can indicate a bleeding disorder, especially if the bruising is followed by persistent nosebleeds or bleeding gums.
- Typically what are thought to be unexplained bruises on the shin or the thigh, for example, actually result from bumps into a bedpost or other object and failing to recall the injury.
- Bruises in older people continually happen because their skin becomes thinner with age. The tissues that aid the underlying blood vessels have become weaker.
Symptoms of Bruising
- At first a fresh bruise might actually be reddish. It will then become blue or dark purple within a couple hours, then yellow or green after a few days as it starts to heal.
- A bruise is usually tender, and sometimes even painful for the first couple days, but the pain typically goes away as the color fades.
- Because the skin is not broken in a bruise as with a scrape or cut there is no risk of infection.
If your skin isn’t broken, you don’t need a bandage, but you can help bruise healing with these simple techniques:
- Elevate the injured area.
- Apply ice or a cold pack several times a day for a day or two after the injury.
- Rest the bruised area, if possible.
At AdvaCare Clinics in Bloomington, MN we are a clinic with advanced healthcare solutions and have been helping patients with bruises. We use our Class IV Laser Therapy (laser acupuncture therapy) that quickens the healing time of bruises, big or small, making you able to get moving again.
Using laser therapy has many advantages. This little beam of light helps the healing process with superficial wounds and other complications of the body such as:
- Skin diseases/Eczema
- Skin rashes/ poison ivy
- Cold sores/Canker sores
- Insect bites
- Scars/ cuts and scratches
- Tissue damage
- Nerve damage
- Neck/shoulder/back pain
Call AdvaCare Clinics (952) 835-6653 today or fill out this short online form if you have any questions about Laser Therapy, any of our therapies, or to schedule a complimentary screening today. Our screenings have the ability to determine what treatments would be the most beneficial for you. We have many screenings that take about 5 to 10 minutes to assess if you need care and what combination of care would best work for you.